The Martire Family Arena is the crown jewel of Sacred Heart’s robust, multi-year building and expansion program reflecting the institution’s significant growth and national status. The facility will house both the men’s and women’s NCAA Division I hockey programs, the University’s nationally ranked figure skating team and men’s club ice hockey team, as well as the women’s club program commencing in fall 2021. The new arena will also serve as a classroom for SHU students studying in the areas of sports communication & media, sport management and others.
FACTS AND STATISTICS
The sophisticated venue will serve not only SHU athletic teams, but also the University community and residents in the region at large. The construction of the arena reflects our commitment to providing our student-athletes the best experience we possibly can as well as a dedication to all student-athletes, especially men’s and women’s hockey, past and present.
The location of the Martire Family Arena on Sacred Heart’s West campus will provide the SHU teams the opportunity to play against national opponents on our campus and will allow for those schools and their local (Tri-State/New England) alumni chapters to come to campus for games.
- State-of-the-art Division I skating facility using the latest technology in ice management and care to create a professional and safe experience for athletes
- Dedicated, world-class strength and conditioning and athletic training suites designed at a level consistent with the NHL
- Stunning team locker rooms and player lounges provide the perfect place for athletes to prepare pre-game and spend time together between workouts and for meals
- Rapid shot puck room for off-ice training
- Comprehensive sports medicine and hydrotherapy suite
- Team film, meeting and lounge spaces
- Pro-motion training harness and specifically designed Olympic-level locker room for nationally-recognized figure skating program
Practical Learning Lab
Sacred Heart’s new arena will act as a practical learning laboratory for students to hone their craft working behind the same technology used in professional sports. The arena will be an educational internship and graduate assistantship space for those studying in highly-recognized SHU academic disciplines in hospitality, sports communication and media, sports management and marketing along with its statewide leadership role with its certificate program in brewing science.
This arena will be a standout facility in the Northeast with amenities focused on the fan and community experience. Amenities, features and programs include:
- Eight rows of fan seating around the rink create an environment that puts fans right in the action with no bad view in the house
- Video scoreboard provides engaging replay and content for fans to interact with
- Suite and club level offer a game experience perfect for hosting events, receptions and corporate outings during games
- Fun for fans and families–in-game staff will have fan promotions both on and off the ice, as well as youth activities on the concourse between periods
- Food and beverage will be available during the game and will include space for CT’s booming craft beer industry to shine
- Both Notre Dame and Fairfield High School will make this their home ice Youth Programs and open skate for the community
- Pro Shop will allow fans to buy their favorite Pioneer gear from jerseys to equipment and skate sharpening
- Guest lectures, concerts and other activities including reserved open skating time for students, faculty, staff and community members